by Ayn Rand
Hank Rearden Timeline and Summary
- Hank pours the first batch of his great invention, Rearden Metal.
- That same evening, he must put up with his horrible family, which ruins the occasion.
- He agrees to help Dagny fix the Rio Norte Line and she becomes his first customer.
- He endures an awful anniversary party at his house.
- He meets Francisco d'Anconia at the party.
- He meets up with Dagny in Colorado and shows her plans for a Rearden Metal bridge.
- The Equalization of Opportunity Bill passes, which harms Hank's business.
- He is forced to sell some of his businesses to other people.
- He rides with Dagny on the first John Galt Line train.
- With some hesitancy, he begins a romantic relationship with Dagny.
- The two go on vacation, and Hank joins Dagny in her hunt for the inventor of the motor.
- He attends James Taggart's wedding with his wife and has another conversation with Francisco.
- Lillian confronts him about his adultery.
- Dr. Ferris invites him to join the looters, and Hank refuses.
- During a crisis at the mills, he ends up saving Francisco's life.
- His friend Ken Danagger goes on strike.
- He ditches his family at Thanksgiving to be with Dagny.
- He goes on trial for illegal business activity and makes a big speech. The phony charges against him are mostly dropped.
- Despite Francisco's warnings, he deals with d'Anconia Copper and loses out on a huge shipment. He is furious with Francisco.
- He is blackmailed into signing over the rights to his Rearden Metal because of his affair with Dagny.
- He realizes that he loves Dagny.
- He has an angry and jealous confrontation with Francisco and hits him.
- He desperately searches for Dagny when her plane crashes and she disappears.
- When Dagny returns from Atlantis, the two end their relationship but remain friends. Hank confesses his love for Dagny.
- He gets divorced from Lillian.
- After a riot at his mills, he finally goes on strike.
- He reconciles with Francisco.
- He returns to help Dagny free John Galt from capture.
- At the end, he returns safely to Atlantis.