Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What do we gain, as readers, by learning about all of Augustine's sins?
- What would you say is the main obstacle that stands between Augustine and conversion: physical temptations, or philosophical challenges? What effect does our knowledge of these obstacles have on how we read the Confessions?
- Does Augustine ever give up his search for truth?
- Augustine is all about humility. But do we think of him as a humble character?
- In what other works—in literature, philosophy, art, or pop culture—has the Confessions been cited, either directly or indirectly? In what ways does it tend to be used?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search