Cite This Page
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What do we gain, as readers, by learning about all of Augustine's sins?
- What would you say is the main obstacle that stands between Augustine and conversion: physical temptations, or philosophical challenges? What effect does our knowledge of these obstacles have on how we read the Confessions?
- Does Augustine ever give up his search for truth?
- Augustine is all about humility. But do we think of him as a humble character?
- In what other works—in literature, philosophy, art, or pop culture—has the Confessions been cited, either directly or indirectly? In what ways does it tend to be used?