The Bacchae Second Choral Lyric Summary
- The Chorus pleads with Thebes to save itself by honoring Dionysus. They call on Dionysus to squash Pentheus's brashness.
- Suddenly, Dionysus' voice is heard.
- The palace is shaken by an earthquake and lightning.
- Dionysus appears.
- The god asks the Chorus if they were worried when he was arrested.
- They say yes, because they're lost without him.
- Dionysus tells his followers that it was easy for him to escape.
- He tells his followers that a spell was cast on Pentheus. When the King thought he was tying up Dionysus he was really tying up a bull.
- Then the god set the stable on fire and flattened it to the ground.
- After that, a phantom version of Dionysus appeared in courtyard. Pentheus chased the phantom around until he collapsed exhausted to the ground.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...