The Bald Soprano
by Eugene Ionesco
Mrs. Smith Timeline and Summary
- Recounts in great detail what her family has eaten previously in the evening.
- Discusses Dr. Mackenzie's bizarre medical practices with her husband.
- Discusses with her husband those pesky and confusing Bobby Watsons.
- Throws socks at her husband when he insults her.
- Tells Mary they've been waiting all night for the Martins.
- Goes upstairs with her husband to change.
- Returns downstairs, having not changed.
- Makes awkward conversation with the Martins.
- Answers the door several times after the doorbell rings – every time no one is there.
- Concludes that whenever the doorbell rings no one is there.
- Bickers with her husband over her theory.
- Is very displeased when her husband answers the door and the Fire Chief is outside.
- Listens to Fire Chief's weird fables.
- Kisses the Fire Chief a couple times.
- Tells a story about a fiancé who gave his bride-to-be some flowers and then took them back.
- Is offended when Mary, the maid, wants to tell a story.
- Is even more offended when she learns of Mary's past love affair with the Fire Chief.
- Helps to push Mary offstage.
- Starts spouting a lot of crazy nonsense.
- Is replaced by Mrs. Martin.