Colonel (Sarty) Sartoris Snopes Timeline and Summary
- Sarty almost has to testify against his father Abner in the Justice of the Peace Court.
- He plans to lie, in accordance with his father's wishes, and say his father didn't burn down Mr. Harris' burn.
- After Abner is found "not guilty" but ordered out of town, Sarty follows him out of court.
- Sarty is hit by a young boy and he falls.
- That night he and his family camp out.
- His father accuses him of planning to rat him out in Court and hits him as punishment. He tells Sarty it's important to stand up for your family.
- The next day Sarty and his family get to their new home, a shack on the de Spain farm.
- He visits the de Spain mansion with his father and is extremely impressed.
- He watches his father track horse poop on the de Spain's rug.
- Sarty works hard all week.
- On Saturday he goes to court with Abner who is suing de Spain.
- That night, Abner decides to burn de Spain's barn.
- Sarty tries to stop him, and warns de Spain.
- He is too late. He hears gunshots and sees that the barn is on fire.
- He run a long way until he gets to the top of a hill.
- Around midnight Sarty mourns his father and then falls asleep.
- When he wakes up, the birds are chirping and he feels better.
- He walks down the hill, toward the woods, without turning around.