At a Glance - Powers
Powers, also known as exponents, are a way to shorten long strings of multiplication.
Instead of writing , write which means "multiply four 5s together."
Or how about this for a timesaver: isn't easier to write than ?
Important Rules of Powers
- Any number to the power of 0 is 1
- Any number to the power of 1 is itself
- When you see a number raised to a negative exponent, take the reciprocal of the number (flip the fraction) and then change the exponent from negative to positive
- Remember to follow PEMDAS, the order of operations. and are two different problems.
- The first, , means to take the negative of . The answer is the negative of or .
- The second problem means to square , so it would simplify as , or
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...