Beautiful Creatures 11.28 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Domus Lunae Libri
- Gatlin considers the day after Thanksgiving to be a bank holiday. (We guess without a Wal-Mart, Black Friday shopping isn't a big deal in Gatlin.) That means the Caster Library is open.
- Coincidentally, the Caster Library is under the Daughters of the American Revolution building.
- The library is also called the Domus Lunae Libri: The House of The Book of Moons. Hmm, maybe they'll find The Book of Moons here?
- Marian tells them that there are multiple entrances to the Caster Library. How many Casters are there around the world?
- Ethan and Lena look around the catacombs for The Book of Moons. But the tunnels are literally endless, so they decide to ask the locket for guidance.
- And… it's back to the time of the Blue and the Gray (i.e., the Civil War).
- Despite Ivy's pleas for her to stop, Genevieve starts chanting from The Book of Moons.
- Genevieve's words sound pretty foreboding: "Blood of my heart. My salvation. My doom" (11.28.86).
- Ethan Carter, the one lying on the ground bleeding to death, opens his eyes. He tells Genevieve that he loves her, he gives her the locket, and then he dies. For real, this time.
- Genevieve feels a jolt of electricity. She believes she was struck by lightning. She passes out.
- When Genevieve's eyes open, Ivy is horrified that they're no longer green. They're yellow. Uh oh.
- Ivy tries to make an offering to the Spirits to fix Genevieve, but the Spirits won't have any of it. They tell Ivy that Genevieve has cursed herself: she traded her fate to try to save Ethan's life. "[Her] fate and the fate a every other Duchannes child that's born after [her]" (11.28.135).
- So that's why the Duchannes children don't get to choose. The Book chooses.
- But there's hope for Lena—not all Casters go dark.
- Ethan drops the locket, and returns to the present.
- Macon is there in the middle of the Crypt, and he has Amma with him. They're not happy, to put it mildly.
- As if things could get worse, Lena collapses onto a table in the middle of the room. There's a lot of confusion as to what's wrong with Lena and how they can help her.
- Ethan decides to pull a Handsome Prince and kiss Sleeping Beauty Lena.
- It works!
- The group moves to a little lounge area in the underground Caster Library. Maybe there's a Dunkin' Donuts down there too?
- Bickering and arguing resumes, this time over whose fault it is that the kids have been dragged into this mess.
- What can possibly help? Ethan decides to ask about The Book of Moons.
- Marian tells everyone that The Book of Moons isn't in the library. It's been missing for a hundred years. Dun dun dun.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search