by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Ethan Wate Timeline & Summary
- Ethan's been dreaming of a girl and listening to a mysterious song called "Sixteen Moons." Then, coincidentally, he meets the mysterious Lena at school.
- In an act of chivalry, complete with a witty retort, Ethan gets Lena's To Kill a Mockingbird book back from the bully Emily Asher. Sigh.
- Driving Link's car, Ethan almost collides with Lena, who's standing in the middle of the road.
- When he touches Lena for the first time, lightning strikes a nearby tree and it explodes. How's that for fireworks?
- After a few more mysterious happenings, Ethan runs into the nearby plantation of Greenbrier, and finds Lena's secret hiding spot.
- The two teenagers find a locket and have their first of many flashbacks to the Civil War.
- Eventually, Ethan meets Lena's Uncle Macon and learns that Lena's not the only magic one in the family.
- Speaking of which, Lena's cousin, Ridley, tricks Ethan into letting her into Ravenwood. Lena is so not happy to see her.
- After Lena tells Ethan her family history, they kiss for the first time. Awww.
- On Halloween night, Ethan witnesses Lena's family performing a weird ritual.
- Apparently that doesn't faze him, because Lena and Ethan kiss again the next day in her bedroom. She says she's falling for him.
- At the winter formal, Ethan loses his cool when the popular crowd pranks Lena.
- At the same time, he's trying to figure out how to save his girlfriend from a magical fate worse than death. His solution: dig up a Civil War-era grave, of course.
- Lena's surprise party has its pros and cons. Pros: first dance for Lena and Ethan. Cons: Ridley tries to kill Ethan's dad and Lena gets attacked by Sarafine.
- Sarafine stabs Ethan, but he's dead for just a few minutes before Lena resurrects him. He'll survive to love another day.