Because of Winn-Dixie Chapter 13 Summary
- The summer is shaping up to be a pretty good one. Opal and Winn-Dixie head to Gertrude's Pets every morning in time to listen to Otis's music. Sometimes Sweetie Pie comes too.
- Sweetie Pie listens and tries to choose a pet, but that's just silly, because all she wants is a dog like Winn-Dixie. And let's face it—there's only one of him to go 'round.
- Then, Opal and Winn-Dixie listen to Miss Franny tell stories at the library.
- Afterward, they head on over to Gloria's. Sometimes the Bully Patrol teases them along the way.
- Stevie passes on his mom's advice that she shouldn't be hanging out with old people so much. Gee, thanks, Stevie's mom.
- Dunlap actually seems like he's kind of nice, but Stevie keeps flapping his lips about how Otis is retarded and a jailbird. Maybe Stevie's mom should be worrying about her own kid, right?
- Opal is mad, mad, mad as she defends Otis and calls Stevie a "big bald-headed baby" (13.9). (Anyone else think Opal could use some new insults?)
- Gloria's peanut butter sandwiches with coffee-milk taste especially good when Opal's all worn out from fighting.
- Gloria suggests that the boys probably just want to be friends. Opal ain't buying it. Well, calling Gloria a witch all the time isn't really winning anyone over.
- Gloria gives up on the subject (for now) and asks Opal to tell her some stories.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...