Because of Winn-Dixie Chapter 6 Summary
- Now Opal introduces us to the Herman W. Block Memorial Library, a "little old house full of books," where she spends a lot of her time (6.1).
- Miss Franny Block is the librarian, and she is also a little old lady who becomes Opal's first friend. Here's the story:
- We already know Winn-Dixie doesn't like to be left alone, right? So when Opal goes to the library, she shows him how to look in the window on his hind legs to see her.
- When Miss Franny sees Winn-Dixie like that, she screams and hides behind her desk.
- Opal runs to find out what the problem is.
- Miss Franny thought big ol' Winn-Dixie was a bear.
- Once Opal convinces her otherwise, she helps her up, and Miss Franny explains, embarrassed, that there once was a bear in her library. A little PTSD, perhaps?
- Opal begs her to tell the story because she loves a good story and asks if Winn-Dixie can join them.
- Before Miss Franny answers, Opal brings him in and assures Miss Franny that he's big, but he also has a big heart—like, a Grinch-sized heart, but at the end of the story.
- How could Miss Franny refuse?
- Well, duh. She can't.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...