Because of Winn-Dixie
by Kate DiCamillo
India Opal Buloni Timeline and Summary
- Opal accidentally-on-purpose adopts a stray dog in a Winn-Dixie grocery store and names him Winn-Dixie.
- Opal asks her father for ten facts about her mother.
- After Winn-Dixie scares Miss Franny Block, Opal and the little old librarian become storytelling friends.
- Opal convinces Otis to give her a job at the pet store so she can buy a sweet red collar and leash for Winn-Dixie.
- Thanks to Winn-Dixie, Opal meets Gloria Dump and dumps her entire life story into her lap (pun intended).
- In return, Gloria Dump teaches Opal about her mistake tree.
- Opal and the preacher realize that thunderstorms freak Winn-Dixie out. Cue foreshadowing.
- Miss Franny tells Opal and Amanda about her great-grandpa Littmus W. Block and his famous candy.
- She gives Opal a bunch of Littmus Lozenges, and Opal hands them out to everyone she knows.
- Thanks to the tasty candies, Opal learns that pretty much everyone—even five-year-olds—is sad about something.
- Gloria and Opal throw a party.
- Everyone comes, and it's shaping up to be the event of the season, when a thunderstorm hits.
- They save the egg-salad sandwiches, but then Opal realizes that Winn-Dixie is missing. Remember how he's terrified of thunder?
- She and the preacher search for him and end up having a heart-to-heart about her mom that magically fixes their relationship.
- When they get back to the party, they find out Winn-Dixie was there all along.
- Opal goes outside and has an imaginary conversation with her mom in front of the mistake tree.
- So long, Mom. Opal is going to start living her life again.
- And she starts by learning new songs to sing with her friends and father.