Cite This Page
Baby Suggs Timeline and Summary
- Baby Suggs (a.k.a. Jenny) is born into slavery. She has nine children, but every one of them except for her last one, Halle, is taken from her.
- By the time she and Halle get to Sweet Home, she's old and a bit lame.
- That's why Halle offers to buy her freedom from Mr. Garner. He works on weekends for years until Baby Suggs is finally free.
- Mr. Garner drives Baby Suggs up to Cincinnati, where a brother and sister, the Bodwins, assist her. It's during the drive that she tells
- Mr. Garner that her real name is Baby Suggs.
- The Bodwins give Baby Suggs 124 Bluestone Road, and she begins to work as a cobbler.
- Baby Suggs also starts her own worship services for black people in the clearing outside the city.
- When Sethe makes it to Cincinnati, Baby Suggs is delighted.
- Baby Suggs throws an impromptu party for the community. During the party, schoolteacher and his men arrive for Sethe.
- When Sethe kills her baby girl and goes off to jail, Baby Suggs withdraws from the townspeople. She stops going to the clearing.
- Eventually Baby Suggs gets sick and stays in her bed.
- Toward the end of her life, she craves color. She can't get enough of it.
- When she dies, the townspeople mourn her passing. There's the possibility that she's the "baby" ghost haunting 124, but pretty much everyone ends up thinking it's Beloved instead.