Beloved Chapter 4 Summary
- So everything's happy at 124, right?
- Well, not exactly.
- As Denver sees it, things are even more rotten than they were when the house was haunted.
- "Hate" might be a strong word for what Denver feels about Paul D… but then again, it might be pretty accurate. She's nasty to Paul D whenever she gets the chance.
- Sethe gets mad at her about it, but Paul D tells Sethe to let Denver alone. He's convinced that she'll come around and start liking him eventually.
- He does get frustrated with Denver though (who would blame him?) and tells Sethe about it.
- Immediately, Sethe gets furious. She can say things about Denver, but no one else can.
- Paul D can't believe how much Sethe loves Denver. And the first thing he thinks about is how dangerous it is for a "used-to-be-slave" to love anything.
- After all, wasn't slavery all about teaching you not to love or trust anything?
- Anyhow, Paul D's got a plan to help Denver start to like him.
- The carnival is in town and doesn't everybody love the carnival?
- Sethe's not so sure since she doesn't go to town very much (remember that whole pariah thing). But finally she agrees.
- Everyone in town stares at Sethe, but Paul D's friendliness is contagious.
- They all end up having a great time, including Denver, who buys lots and lots of candy.
- Soon, even Denver's smiling.
- As they walk home, it looks like their shadows are holding hands.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search