The Banker Timeline and Summary
- The banker remembers a party he threw fifteen years ago where he turned an argument about the death penalty into a bet that a lawyer couldn't stay in voluntary solitary confinement for fifteen years.
- Now that time is almost up, and he stresses about the fact that he doesn't have the money to pay up his side of the bet—two million rubles.
- The banker decides to murder the lawyer.
- He sneaks into the guesthouse prison and finds the lawyer asleep.
- Just as he's about to kill him, he finds a note that says that the lawyer rejects the money and will lose the bet on purpose.
- The banker leaves the room, taking the letter as proof that the lawyer rejected the money and stashes it in his safe.