The Big Sleep
by Raymond Chandler
The Big Sleep Chapter 6 Summary
- Rain, rain, and more rain. Marlowe escapes the foul weather by waiting in his car and staking out Geiger's store until he sees a man matching the description of Geiger enter the shop.
- When Geiger leaves in his car, Marlowe follows him to Geiger's house high up in the hills. Parked a few houses over, Marlowe sees another white car pull in the driveway. A young woman gets out and enters the house. When the coast is clear, Marlowe checks the white car's registration, which reads Carmen Sternwood.
- At 7:20, Marlowe sees a white flash go off inside the house. Then he hears a scream.
- Several seconds later, three gunshots go off and footsteps are heard leaving the house.
- Marlowe breaks in through the window and sees two people inside. One of them is dead.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...