Cite This Page
Dave Wain Timeline and Summary
- Dave Wain meets up with Jack in San Francisco; Jack remembers driving cross-country with him in his jeep, which is named "Willie."
- Jack can't decide who is the better driver, Cody or Dave.
- Dave brings Ron Blake with him, a teenager admirer. They all drink together.
- Dave drives Jack to visit Cody in Los Gatos; they drink on the way.
- When they arrive, Dave immediately likes and admires Cody, as Jack hoped and thought he would.
- They leave Cody and return to the city.
- Dave picks up his girl, Romana, and they visit George Base in the hospital.
- Dave drives on the next trip to pick up Cody and head to Big Sur.
- They all drink at Monsanto's cabin.
- Dave pays particular attention to McLear's beautiful wife, who has also joined the party with her husband.
- Dave makes breakfast; he knows everything about cooking.
- They leave the cabin.
- Dave gets a phone call from Jack some time later: Jack wants the four of them (Jack, Romana, Dave, Billie) to go to Big Sur together, and Dave agrees.
- They group takes the jeep; there is lots of drinking on the way to Big Sur.
- Dave and Romana have lots of sex at the cabin, even in view of passing tourists.
- While Jack is going mad, Dave catches a fish, which he deems "holy," and very carefully (while narrating the process) cooks it for dinner.
- Dave tries to get Jack to eat instead of just drinking on an empty stomach all the time.
- Romana and Dave head to the best sleeping spot – by the creek – to retire for the night.
- The next morning, Dave is disappointed when Jack suggests they head back early. He's having a good time and doesn't want to leave.
- When Billie digs the coffin-shaped hole in the ground, Jack thinks that Dave, too, picks up on the significance.