by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Aminadab Timeline and Summary
- We learn that Aminadab is Aylmer's assistant and has been for many years. Though he doesn't understand the science behind Aylmer's experiments, he can carry out all the physical tasks perfectly.
- Aminadab is described as short, stocky, and earthy.
- The narrator, apparently unable to hold back, points out that Aminadab represents man's physical, earthy half, while Aylmer represents his lofty, spiritual half.
- Aminadab helps Aylmer move the unconscious Georgiana into the boudoir. He mutters under his breath that, if she were his wife, he would not tamper with the birthmark.
- Aminadab helps Aylmer prepare the elixir for Georgiana.
- When the birthmark is gone from Georgiana's face, Aminadab laughs.
- When Georgiana is dying, he laughs again.