by Seamus Heaney
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Besides blackberries, what do you think this poem might be about? What hints does Heaney give to support your opinion?
- What effect does using all five senses have on the poem?
- Why do you think Heaney chose blackberries to get across his message(s)? Could he have chosen another fruit or vegetable? A different memory?
- What's up with the religious undertones (the blood/wine/flesh stuff)? Why do you think Heaney includes them?
- This poem definitely has a dark side. Which moments (words, phrases) really bring out the dark side?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...