Bleak House Chapter 62 Summary
- Esther, Jarndyce, Bucket, Smallweed, Kenge, Vholes
- (Esther still in charge.)
- The next morning Esther feels guilty about the whole Woodcourt-love business and makes extra nice with Jarndyce.
- They even set a date for the wedding – next month. Except they never call it a wedding – they only ever call it Esther becoming mistress of Bleak House. It's pretty bizarre, actually.
- Then Bucket suddenly barges in the door, with Smallweed behind him.
- Bucket explains that he couldn't keep Smallweed from coming. It turns out that while rummaging through Krook's things, Smallweed has found yet another Jarndyce will.
- It's a good thing Bucket's been hanging around that shop, because otherwise the will would have gone to the highest bidder. As it is, Bucket got the whole Smallweed family to turn on each other and bought it for twenty pounds.
- Jarndyce tells Smallweed that he'll reward him for the find.
- They take the thing to Kenge to check it out and it turns out to be dated after all the other wills in the case!
- Kenge gets excited and calls over Vholes, who also agrees that this is quite a remarkable find.
- They explain that next month, when Court is back in session, this new will is going to be very important.
- Jarndyce isn't buying any of this.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search