Cite This Page
Bleak House Chapter 65 Summary Page 1
Beginning the World
- (Still Esther narrating.)
- Court is back in session, and Esther and Woodcourt decide to go check out whether the new will amounts to anything.
- On the way there they run into Caddy, who is doing really well with the dancing school.
- In the courtroom there is clearly some kind of excitement and hubbub, and when Esther asks what's going on, it turns out that the Jarndyce case is over. For the day? No, forever!
- Esther gets excited that maybe this new will has been certified, but Kenge and Vholes explain that no, what actually happened is that the whole estate has now been spent in court costs. Since there's no money to pay for more lawyering, the case will now just disappear.
- Wow, sucks.
- Woodcourt immediately thinks this will kill Richard, and they go visit him and Ada.
- When they get there, Richard is very sick but seems much happier.
- He promises to come to Woodcourt and Esther's new house when he's feeling better and to go to their wedding. Jarndyce shows up, and he and Richard make up. Richard apologizes for all the craziness.
- Then he dies.
- Whoa. Didn't see that one coming, did you?