Bless Me, Ultima
by Rudolfo Anaya
Bless Me, Ultima Chapter 1 Summary
- Narrator Antonio sets up the story by recounting a bit of his family's past, explaining the difference between his mother's people (the Luna) and his father's people (the Márez).
- Young Antonio dreams of his birth and the argument that broke out between his mother's people and his father. The Luna are farmers, the Márez are vaqueros and wanderers. And never the twain shall meet.
- In his dream, Antonio also sees that the old woman who delivered him is the only person who knows his true destiny.
- Ultima arrives! She's the woman who delivered him.
- This is big time. Her entrance on the scene is what sets everything in motion. Also, her owl comes with her, and her owl is really cool.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...