The Bluest Eye
Pecola Breedlove Timeline and Summary
- Pecola is born to Cholly and Pauline Breedlove. Pauline immediately decides that she is an ugly child.
- Pecola comes to stay with the MacTeers after her father, Cholly, tries to burn down their house.
- Pecola drinks three quarts of milk out of a Shirley Temple cup just so she can look at Shirley Temple's face.
- Pecola gets her period and finds out she is able to have babies.
- As her parents fight, Pecola prays to be pretty. She prays for blue eyes so the world will see her differently and so she will be able to see the world differently.
- Pecola hangs out with three prostitutes – Miss Marie, China, and Poland. They are nice to her and tell her stories about love and sex.
- After she is teased at school, Claudia, Frieda, and Maureen defend Pecola.
- Claudia accidentally punches Pecola in the face while aiming for Maureen.
- Junior lures Pecola into his house. He picks up his mother Geraldine's cat and throws it in Pecola's face, scratching her badly. When Geraldine comes home, Junior blames Pecola for the cat's death.
- At the house of the white family where her mother works, Pecola accidentally drops a berry cobbler on the floor, splattering herself with the piping hot filling. Pauline hits her.
- Pecola's father rapes her in their kitchen.
- Pecola visits Soaphead Church and asks him to give her blue eyes.
- Pecola gets pregnant with her father's child.
- Pecola's baby dies.
- Pecola invents an imaginary friend to talk to. She is convinced she has blue eyes.
- Pecola moves to the edge of town with her mother and spends her days looking in the mirror, searching through trash and talking to herself.