Book of Job
Book of Job Chapter 1 Summary
Family, Divine Dealings, & Death
- We are introduced to Job right off the bat. He's pretty much the coolest guy alive and life is good.
- Job has a big family, lots of property, 7,000 sheep (5,000 looks like this), 3,000 camels, 500 oxen, and 500 donkeys.
- Oh, and he's one of the most righteous men out there.
- Not bad.
- God is psyched about how awesome Job is, so he brags to Satan. As you might expect, Satan doesn't agree. He says that Job is only so righteous because his life is so good.
- Challenge accepted.
- God agrees to let Satan destroy Job's life—you know, just to see what happens.
- And…go. Satan destroys Job's life.
- But guess what? Job remains loyal to God, understanding that God gives and God takes away.
- Only a few servants and Job's wife survive the destruction.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search