Book of Judges
Book of Judges Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why does Israel fall apart as soon as its leaders die? Does that ever happen today?
- Why does Israel make the same mistake over and over again? Does that ever happen today?
- What relationship is there, if any, between the pervasive violence in Judges and the anarchy in which Israel lived? Is this a governmental problem? A social problem? A religious problem?
- Is it okay that the good-guys in Judges use violence and deception just as much as the bad-guys?
- What makes the Israelites the good-guys at all when they behave as badly or worse than the Canaanites?
- Do the various instances of women destroying men in Judges make its depictions of sexual violence and kidnapping against women more unpleasant to read, less so, or neither?
- Why does Delilah so often overshadow the other Judges women like Deborah and Jael, who are equally intriguing?
- What are the pitfalls of using violence to quickly and decisively solve problems in Judges?
- How could Samson be dumb enough to let Delilah cut his hair? Does that sort of thing ever happen today?
- Is Samson a flawed but sympathetic hero or a sociopathic terrorist maniac?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search