The Book Thief
The Book Thief Chapter 13 Summary
A Girl Made of Darkness
- Liesel's first steals a book on January 13, 1939. The second one is taken on April 20, 1940, four hundred and sixty three days later.
- This second act of book thievery is important to the story.
- It opens up a world of book stealing opportunities and helps Hans figure out "a plan to help the Jewish fist fighter."
- Death thinks that Nazi Germany would not have been able to do what it did, if the German people did not love burning things, including "Shops, synagogues, […] personal items, slain people, and of course, books" (13.8).
- Liesel steals The Shoulder Shrug, her second stolen book, from a book burning.
- Liesel is driven to steal the book by "anger and dark hatred" (13.8).
- The book burning happens on April 20, which is Hitler's birthday.
- When she rescues the burning book, "Liesel [is] a girl made of darkness" (13.8).
- For us to understand what Liesel is so mad about, Death will have to take us back a few months.