The Book Thief Chapter 21 Summary
The Way Home
- Mein Kampf is the book written by Hitler.
- This will be book number three on Liesel's list of very important books.
- She won't steal it; it will come to her.
- Mein Kampf's journey to Liesel will begin this very night, as Liesel and Hans walk home.
- Soon, Liesel can't stand the heat of the book hidden under her clothes, and she takes it out and shows it to Hans.
- Hans takes the wet, smoking book from her. It's called The Shoulder Shrug.
- He wonders what harm this book could possibly do.
- As he gives it back to Liesel, he has an important idea.
- (Which we will learn about soon.)
- Liesel can tell he has something on his mind, and asks him.
- She wants to know if he'll tell Rosa about the book.
- He comforts her, and says he won't tell.
- He and Liesel will read the book in the basement.
- But – Hans wants Liesel to promise him that she will keep a secret for him, if he asks her too.
- He tells Liesel not to steal anymore books.
- She just smiles.
- Liesel isn't aware that Hans will trade cigarettes and a little money for a book – Hitler's book, Mein Kampf.
- Hans is thrilled with his idea, and he'll be able to enjoy it for seven more months.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...