The Book Thief
Cite This Page
The Book Thief Chapter 26 Summary Page 1
The Struggler, Continued
- Now Death skips ahead to November 3, 1940.
- Max Vandenburg is on the train reading Hitler's book, Mien Kampf.
- We learn that "Mien Kampf" means translates to "My Struggle" (26.3).
- Max had waited a week and a half in the storage shed.
- That's how long it took for his friend Walter Kugler – (this is the first time we learn the name of the man who's been helping him escape to Himmel Street – to get back to him.
- Walter tells Max that he (Walter) will be leaving to town to fight in the German army.
- Max says he's sorry about that.
- This is the last time these two will meet.
- Walter leaves Max a train ticket. He'll travel from Stuttgart to Pasing, with a stop in Munich in between.
- He's to leave Stuttgart in two nights. He'll walk from Pasing to Molching.
- Walter also leaves him the things he needs to cut his hair and shave.
- He shows his identity card, and his ticket when he gets on the train.
- Max is desperately afraid of being asked for his "Papers" (26.24).
- He's afraid that if he is asked to show the card again, he'll give himself away with fear and trembling and "the smell – no, the stench – of guilt" (26.26).
- Luckily, he isn't asked.
- As he rides the train he reads Mien Kampf and is amazed that Hitler's book is what's saving him from Hitler right now.