The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
The Book Thief Chapter 27 Summary
- Now we are back to Liesel.
- Rosa has lost another customer – there are two left.
- Liesel is very glad that the Hermanns are still customers. She still gets to see Ilsa Hermann, and the books.
- Liesel and Rudy pull a few more jobs with Arthur Berg. For diversity, they steal onions and potatoes.
- Rudy and Liesel also pull a job on their own, with great success.
- They've noticed that a guy named Otto Sturm delivers food and other things to the priests at the Catholic church.
- It's now October, and on a certain very cold Friday, Liesel and Rudy make a plan to intercept him.
- First Rudy pours water where Otto will ride on his bike. This will make the already icy road, extra-slippery.
- Sure enough, Otto hits the icy patch and falls hard with his bike.
- Rudy and Liesel take his basket and run.
- From a distance, they watch him get up and get back on his bike.
- They are loyal to Arthur Berg and the other thieves, so they go to Arthur.
- The whole gang is summoned, and they have a feast by the Amper River.
- On the way home, Liesel wants to know if Rudy "feel[s] bad" (27.38) about hurting Otto and stealing from him.
- He doesn't seem too.
- Death tells us that, "in years to come, he would be a giver of bread – not a stealer" (27.43).
- A little less than a week later, the gang is robbing the potato field.
- Arthur Berg screams the warning – he sees the farmer carrying an ax.
- Everybody gets over the fence but Rudy.
- He gets stuck and calls for help.
- Liesel runs back to him and helps him free his pants from the barbed-wire.
- Later, Rudy looks ashamed, and Arthur tells him, "It's happened to all of us" (27.65).
- Liesel and Rudy would never know for sure if this was true or false.
- In several weeks, Arthur moves to Cologne.
- The last time they see him, he gives them a bag of roasted chestnuts.
- Death has seen him.
- Arthur is still alive. Death sees him in Cologne holding the dead body of his sister.
- Liesel and Rudy sell the chestnuts door to door and go back to Frau Diller's to show her who can afford mixed candy.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...