The Book Thief Chapter 28 Summary
The Struggler, Concluded
- Death tells us that in a few pages it will bring together the stories of Liesel and Max.
- Max's legs are hurting badly, and he's almost to Molching.
- He's in Molching now, and it's nighttime.
- Paranoid as always, he's on the lookout for anyone who might suspect he's a Jew.
- He has his suitcase and Hitler's book.
- He finds 33 Himmel Street, and he's too afraid to feel relief.
- Feelings of extreme guilt wash over him—guilt over letting people "risk their lives for him" (28.21).
- He takes the key from his pocket and holds it so tight in his fist that it cuts his hand.
- Now he leans against the door and takes the key out of his fist.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...