The Book Thief
The Book Thief Chapter 3 Summary
- Death is having another flashback. This time, the sky is black, and it's the darkest part of the night before morning.
- This time the dead person is a 24-year-old man.
- Death sees a crashed airplane, smoking.
- Then Death sees a boy approach the airplane, carrying a toolbox.
- Then Death sees the book thief.
- The boy takes a teddy bear from the tool box and puts it on the dying pilot's chest.
- Then death takes the dead man's soul.
- The sky is dark, and there's a big crowd.
- The dead pilot's face is locked in a grin, and his uniform contrast with the sky.
- Until, everything goes black. It's not unusual for Death to see an eclipse when someone dies. In fact, he's "seen millions" of eclipses, more than he wishes "to remember" (3.23).
- (Feeling confused about where this story is taking place, in time and place? Don't worry! It will all come clear as the story progresses. Still, sometimes a bit of historical context at the outset can help. So, feel free to check out "Setting" to help yourself get oriented.)
- And one more thing, we learn what this chapter means near the end of the novel, so don't forget about it!
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search