The Book Thief Chapter 30 Summary
A Good Girl
- It's November 1940. It's (still) the night Max comes to the house on Himmel Street. He's 24 years old.
- He's very tired.
- Hans looks outside to make sure nobody has seen.
- It's seems crazy to Max that he's safe, but it seems to be the case.
- Hans makes sure the curtains are closed tightly.
- At this moment, Max breaks down into a crouched position, in the kind darkness.
- When he looks up he sees Liesel watching them.
- She calls out to Hans.
- He tells her all is OK and sends her back to bed.
- When she looks back, she "can decipher the outline of a book on the table" (30.12).
- She hears Hams tell Max not to worry – Liesel is "a good girl" (30.13).
- Liesel listens to them talking for about an hour.
- Death ends the chapter by saying, "One wild card
[is] yet to be played" (30.15).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...