The Book Thief
The Book Thief Chapter 34 Summary
- Over the next three days, Max stays asleep.
- Liesel watches him often. By day three of the sleep, she can think of nothing else.
- She's torn between wanting to be there when he wakes up and not wanting to be there.
- The only thing that tears her away is Rosa.
- Max says names in his sleep, "Isaac. Aunt Ruth. Sarah. Mama. Walter. Hitler" (34.6).
- Sometimes he thrashes, and at one point he says the word "Nein" or "No" (34.8) nine times.
- Now, he's waking.
- He sees Liesel's face, upside down, because she's standing over him.
- He's confused and unsure of where he is.
- Liesel moves back on instinct.
- But Max takes hold of her arm with his warm hand, and says, "Please" (34.17).
- Liesel calls for Hans.
- Max repeats his plea.
- Hans enters to find them this way. He says, "I see you two have met" (34.22).
- The heat begins to leave Max's hands.