The Book Thief Chapter 39 Summary
- It's July, 1941. Rudy has been having big problems at Hitler Youth since February.
- The problem is three-fold—it involves Tommy Müller's ear problems, an angry Hitler Youth leader named Franz Deutscher, and Rudy's knack for getting involved in situations.
- If you'll remember, Tommy has had ear problems since he was lost in the ice as a younger kid.
- Now the problems are worse, and he can barely hear.
- During marching practice, all the kids are supposed to stop at the same time. Hitler wants them to move as one body.
- But, Tommy can't hear the call to stop.
- When Franz berates him, Rudy tries to explain about Tommy's ear problems.
- Franz makes Tommy and Rudy do push-ups over muddy ground, so their faces get all muddy.
- Liesel is on Himmel Street in her Hitler Youth uniform when Rudy and Tommy come on the scene.
- Rudy tells Liesel the story and then asks for a kiss.
- She doesn't give him one.
- He tells her he'll kiss her yet.
- In two years, she'll be in the basement, writing her story, wishing she could visit him.
- She will understand that these bad times at Hitler Youth made them hungry for "crime" (37.59).
- Apple stealing season is about to begin.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...