The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
The Book Thief Chapter 40 Summary
- This summer (the summer of 1941) Liesel and Rudy return to the Amper River and the fruit-stealing gang. Since Arthur Berg has moved, there's a new leader.
- His name is Viktor Chemmel, and he's a rich kid with everything.
- He steals because he wants even more than everything.
- The new leader is not a nice guy.
- Plus, the apple crop is lousy, for whatever reason.
- There isn't much collected, and Viktor only gives Rudy and Liesel one apple.
- When Rudy mouths off to him, Viktor chokes him until his nose bleeds, then threatens him.
- As he and Liesel are leaving, Rudy spits at him.
- He threatens Rudy again, and in five months, his threats come true.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...