The Book Thief
The Book Thief Chapter 41 Summary
- Meanwhile, Max is writing his book. It's coming out as "a series of sketches […] which to him summed up the events that had swapped his former life for another" (41.8.).
- The book is for Liesel, when she's a little older.
- One day when Max falls asleep, Liesel steals a glance at the book.
- (You'll want to look at your book for this part. There are two illustrations.)
- The first illustration is of Hitler standing on something high; people are below him saluting.
- The second illustration shows a happy looking man and woman standing on top of a huge pile of bodies. There's a sun with a swastika inside it.
- Liesel hears Max talking in his sleep and is frightened.
- She goes back upstairs, still frightened.