The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
The Book Thief Chapter 43 Summary
Three Acts of Stupidity by Rudy Steiner
- In this chapter, Rudy will commit potato-thievery, challenge Hitler Youth leader Franz Deutscher, and then stop attending Hitler Youth meetings.
- The problem with the potato is that Rudy steals the potato everyone else at the market wants. They want it because it's the biggest one.
- So, everybody sees him take it.
- Rudy starts telling a sob story to the owner, but the owner is threatening to call the police.
- Luckily, his teacher is there, and his teacher sticks up for him and gets the owner to let him go.
- Failed again. Poor Rudy.
- The next incident starts at Hitler Youth.
- When Franz asks Rudy Hitler's birthday, one of Franz's favorite questions, Rudy goofs around gives Jesus' birthday instead.
- Franz is not amused and makes him run laps until he finally gives the right date.
- Several days later, Rudy sees Franz on Munich Street and throws a rock at him, hitting him in the back.
- Liesel, Tommy, and Rudy's little sister are with him.
- Franz beats him horribly, blackening his eye, cracking his ribs, and cutting his hair with a pocket-knife.
- So, Rudy stops going to the meetings.
- He strolls along the Amper River instead, and when his parents find out, he flat out refuses to return.
- Luckily, Rudy's older brother gets him into a division of Hitler Youth that he can tolerate.
- Tommy gets to come, too. Rudy is much more careful now.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...