The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
The Book Thief Chapter 44 Summary
The Floating Book Part 2
- In December, Rudy finally gets a win!
- Rudy and Liesel are walking in the afternoon, and they see Franz.
- They move quickly to the river so he doesn't see them.
- But, they run into Viktor Chemmel the leader of the fruit-stealing gang.
- He stops them and takes The Whistler away from Liesel.
- She tells Viktor she doesn't care about the book. She's "already read it" (44.21).
- It's a lie, and Viktor can instantly see how much she wants it.
- He throws the book into the Amper River.
- Rudy and Liesel run along the river until they see the book.
- Rudy jumps in and saves the book.
- Go Rudy! Finally a win!
- He asks for a kiss.
- Death says, "He must have loved her so incredibly hard. So hard that he would never ask for her lips again and would go to his grave without them" (44.42).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...