The Book Thief
Cite This Page
The Book Thief Chapter 44 Summary Page 1
The Floating Book Part 2
- In December, Rudy finally gets a win!
- Rudy and Liesel are walking in the afternoon, and they see Franz.
- They move quickly to the river so he doesn't see them.
- But, they run into Viktor Chemmel the leader of the fruit-stealing gang.
- He stops them and takes The Whistler away from Liesel.
- She tells Viktor she doesn't care about the book. She's "already read it" (44.21).
- It's a lie, and Viktor can instantly see how much she wants it.
- He throws the book into the Amper River.
- Rudy and Liesel run along the river until they see the book.
- Rudy jumps in and saves the book.
- Go Rudy! Finally a win!
- He asks for a kiss.
- Death says, "He must have loved her so incredibly hard. So hard that he would never ask for her lips again and would go to his grave without them" (44.42).