The Book Thief
Cite This Page
The Book Thief Chapter 46 Summary Page 1
- Liesel turns thirteen in February 1942.
- Max has fallen down on her bed.
- On the day before Christmas, Liesel brings Max some snow, as a present.
- He loves it.
- So she brings in more and more.
- Max, Liesel, Hans, and Rosa get into a snowball fight in the basement, and then they make a little snowman.
- Max loves his present, but gets sick soon after.
- A few days before Liesel's birthday, Max comes to Hans, by the fire, and shows how sick he is.
- Rosa is the one who hears him, and she gets everybody in action right away.
- Max falls unconscious in Liesel's bed and as many blankets as possible are put on top of him.
- This night, Liesel hears Rosa blaming the snowman for Max's illness.
- Hans tells her that Hitler is to blame, not the snowman.
- Between Rosa, Hans, and Liesel, Max is checked on seven times this night.
- The next day, Liesel gets Max's book to put near him and feels bad about peeking at it before.
- When Hans comes in, she tells him she feels bad about bringing the snow. She doesn't understand why she did it.
- Hans says, "you had to" (46.59).
- Death is really proud of him for saying this.
- Liesel stays near Max, holding his hand and praying he doesn't die.