The Book Thief Chapter 47 Summary
- For Liesel, it's like waiting for Max to wake up when he first arrived, all over again.
- She knows he's alive, because his beard is growing.
- Later, Death will remember visiting Max that night.
- Death almost takes him, but Max fights off Death.
- After five days of this, Max wakes up again, just long enough to eat.
- In another week, he wakes up again. Even though Liesel begs, he drifts back to sleep.
- After this, Liesel reads The Whistler to Max.
- Sadly, she has to skip some of the chapter; the pages got stuck together when the book dried.
- Every day she rushed home after school to check on him.
- One day, Rosa makes her go back out and play.
- Rudy's really happy to have her back.
- Their soccer ball gets squished by a car, and Liesel takes it as a present for Max.
- Liesel goes home and presents it to the sleeping Max.
- She wants to scream and put her hand on him to wake him.
- But she doesn't do these things.
- Liesel finds thirteen gifts for Max.
- She hopes they will wake him.
- After the soccer ball, Liesel brings Max a feather, newspapers, a candy wrapper, a description of a cloud, toy soldier, and a leaf.
- The second to the last gift is reading to the end of The Whistler.
- It ends with the whistler (the killer trying to escape from the police) on a train, thinking about the body of the dead detective he'd left behind in Vienna.
- Liesel's last gift is her tears. She cries on Max's face.
- Rosa understands and comforts her.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...