The Book Thief Chapter 49 Summary
Death's Diary: Cologne
- It's the night of May 30, 1942.
- One thousand bombers drop bombs on Köln (Cologne), Germany.
- Fifty thousand people are homeless.
- Five hundred people die. Death takes them, takes care of some more business, and then returns to Cologne.
- Some ten year old girls are amidst the rubble.
- One of them calls to her father, pointing at something in the sky.
- It's an empty fuel container.
- The bombers had dropped their empty fuel containers, and now the kids are looking for them excitedly.
- As kids pick up fuel containers, Death picks up bodies.
- And this is just the beginning of 1942.
- (For a video about the bombing of Cologne, click here.)