The Book Thief Chapter 51 Summary
- Now there's another knock on the door.
- Luckily, it's only Rudy, coming to see if Liesel is okay.
- Hans says Rudy is her boyfriend; Liesel denies this and goes up the stairs.
- She opens the door to Rudy, and he says she smells funny.
- She says it's the smell of Hans's cigarettes.
- This gives Rudy the idea of selling cigarettes.
- Well, Liesel informs him that she doesn't steal things from Hans.
- He teases her about the things she does steal. She tells him to be quiet before somebody hears him.
- Rudy says Liesel has a "criminal" reek and should bathe.
- He calls Tommy over for a whiff.
- Liesel tells him to get lost.
- He asks if everything is okay, meaning her knee.
- It's a June day in Germany, 1942 and Germany is rotting, though Liesel doesn't know it.
- She's just happy that Max was not discovered, and that they are all still here.
- So, she says that everything's okay.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...