The Book Thief
The Book Thief Chapter 59 Summary
- It's now 11 pm, and "Max Vandenburg walk[s] up Himmel Street with a suitcase full of food and warm clothes" (59.1).
- Before leaving, he tells Liesel there is a present waiting for her, "but [she] will not get it until [she's] ready" (59.3).
- And then he's gone.
- Liesel joins Hans and Rosa in the kitchen.
- We are given the seventh word from Liesel's dictionary. (This time, we'll quote the definition and the related words, since it's important to the chapter).
"Schweigen – Silence: The absence of sound or noise. Related words: quiet, calmness, peace." (59.11)
- Meanwhile a Jewish man is on foot, in the dark, near Munich.
- He is supposed to meet Hans by the Amper River four days from now – if he isn't captured first.
- He does get to the river, but is gone in a flash.
- Hans will find a note with no names on it. It says, "You've done enough" (59.17).
- Now, Himmel Street is "a place of silence," but a silence nothing like the "related words" in Liesel's dictionary (59.18).