The Book Thief Chapter 62 Summary
The Thought of Rudy Naked
- (Now we flash back to the incident that leads the Gestapo to Rudy.)
- Rudy, Jürgen Schwarz, and Olaf Spiegel are in the doctor's office.
- They are ordered to take off their clothes – "They [cup] their genital in their hands and [shiver] like the future" (62.18).
- When it comes time to hold out their arms, they have to move their hands.
- While they are examined, the nurse tells their teacher, "We are gradually succeeding […] in creating a new future. It will be a new class of physically and mentally advanced Germans. An officer class" (62.24).
- (In other words, they are trying to find the best and the brightest – future Nazi leaders and commanders.)
- After Rudy's exam, "he manage[s] to perform his first nude Heil Hitler" (62.28).
- They hear the doctor and the nurse talking – they want the first boy and the third boy.
- Jürgen is definitely the first, but they aren't sure if the third boy is Rudy, or Olaf. Olaf was third in line, but Rudy was third to be examined.
- It doesn't matter. The Gestapo will know.
- Rudy finally tells Liesel everything, the day after the Gestapo come to his house.
- When she lies in bed at night, she can't stop thinking of the moment in the story where Rudy has to move his hand and stand completely naked.
- She's not sure why.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...