The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
The Book Thief Chapter 68 Summary
The Anarchist's Suit Collection
- (Since the word "anarchist" doesn't actually come up the story, click here for a definition of anarchy. It might help makes sense of the chapter title.)
- Since Alex and Hans are both still away, the Steiner's invite Rosa, Trudy (Rosa's daughter), and Liesel to their house on Christmas Eve.
- When they get there, they find Rudy "in the process of explaining his clothing" (68.1).
- Throughout December, 1942, Liesel's been reading The Word Shaker.
- She's also decided on Rudy's Christmas present.
- She goes to his house to give it to him.
- Since she doesn't have anything with her, and no money, Rudy sees that she has the need to thieve. Luckily, he has it, too.
- She convinces Rudy to get the keys to his dad's tailor shop.
- It seems like the mannequins are watching what's happening.
- Rudy doesn't think his dad will mind this little break-in, things being as they are.
- They goof around in the darkness and Liesel trips over a mannequin.
- Rudy hopes she isn't giving him a mannequin for Christmas.
- Nope. She isn't. She picks out a suit for him.
- He tries it on and asks how it looks.
- She says it would be better if he had better shoes and a better face.
- He looks mad and comes after her, but trips on a mannequin and falls laughing to the floor.
- Then he shuts his eyes.
- Liesel is worried and leans over him.
- Death wants her to kiss Rudy!
- She doesn't.
- Rudy says he misses his dad.
- Liesel helps him up and wishes him a Merry Christmas.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...