The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
The Book Thief Chapter 74 Summary
The Bitter Taste of Questions
- About a week after Liesel's fourteenth birthday, a letter from Hans arrives.
- Liesel reads it out loud to Rosa. The letter talks about the broken leg. It also talks about Hans returning home!
- Rosa and Liesel hug, extremely happy.
- They go next door to tell the Steiners the good news.
- Rudy is doing a good job of looking happy, but Liesel knows Rudy has "the bitter taste of questions in his mouth" (74.5). He can't help asking why Liesel's father is coming home, but not his.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...