The Book Thief
Cite This Page
The Book Thief Chapter 84 Summary Page 1
The End of the World (Part 2)
- Death says the Liesel's book has been with him so long, it's almost disintegrated.
- That's part of the reason he's telling us about it – so he'll remember it even when the book is gone.
- Death also wants to tell us what happens the night Himmel Street is bombed and what happens to Liesel afterwards.
- The first house bombed is Tommy Müller's. The Müllers die sleeping.
- And then the sirens sound the alert, too late.
- Ten planes are here, bombing Molching.
- Death takes Frau Holtzapfel, then Frau Diller, then the Fielders, all in their sleep.
- Now, Death goes to the Steiners, to Rudy.
- Death says, "He does something to me every time, that boy. […] He steps on my heart. He makes me cry" (84.18).
- Now, finally, Death comes for the Hubermanns.
- Death feels Hans trying to go to Liesel as Death takes him.
- He takes Rosa "midsnore" (84.25).
- Death says, "Make no mistake. That woman had a heart. She had a bigger one than people would think" (84.25).
- As Death is on to the next Himmel Street victim, he hears the bomb squad men laughing and turns to see at what.
- It's Liesel.
- After screaming for Hans, she learns that Himmel Street has been bombed.
- In shock, she's babbling about saving Hans and Rosa, and helping Max get out of the basement.
- She sees she's holding a book, her book.
- Liesel sees someone with Hans's accordion. She asks for it and is given it.
- She drops it when she sees Frau Holtzapfel's dead body on the ground.
- Now, she sees Rudy's body.
- She tells him she loves him and begs him to wake up.
- She holds him and kisses him.
- When she moves on, she sees the bodies of Hans and Rosa.
- She talks to Rosa, but she can't look at Hans.
- She begins to scream.
- Death looks at her face and can see she loves Hans "the most" (87.76).
- Liesel asks one of the LSE men to get the accordion for her. She puts it next to Papa.
- Later, when Death takes Liesel, he will see a memory in her of watching Hans get up and play for her a final time, as she stays with his dead body on Himmel Street.
- She kisses him and holds him.
- She cries until someone comes for her.
- She has dropped her book, The Book Thief.
- Death rescues it from a garbage truck.