The Book Thief
The Book Thief Chapter 87 Summary
- The war is over, and Death has come for Hitler.
- (Hitler commits suicide on April 30, 1945. It's common knowledge that Hitler shot himself, but new evidence has historians doubting the facts. Read all about it here.)
- Alex Steiner has reopened his tailor shop, and Liesel works with him.
- She and Alex go to Dachau to look for Max, but the Americans won't let them in.
- One day, in October of 1945, a man walks into the tailor shop, asking for Liesel.
- It's Max.
- When they see each other, "They [hug] and cry and [fall] to the floor" (87.4).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...