The Book Thief
The Book Thief Chapter 88 Summary
The Handover Man
- Death has many stories that he uses to ease his mind while he works.
- Death says, "I pick them up in the unluckiest, unlikeliest of places and I make sure to remember them as I go about my work" (88.3).
- The Book Thief is (obviously!) included in this mix.
- When Death comes to Sydney for Liesel, he returns her book, The Book Thief.
- She reads it and sits with Death.
- She asks him if he read it and if it made sense.
- Death wants to tell her all the things he's told us, but he can only say one thing to her: "I am haunted by humans" (88.17).
- (If you want to talk about the ending, join us in "What's Up With the Ending?"
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search