The Borrowers Chapter 7 Summary
- Arrietty eagerly awaits the day when she can go upstairs to borrow with her father.
- Finally the happy day comes. See, Homily needs new bristles for a fiber brush, and the only place to get it is the doormat upstairs. (We hear they're having a two-for-one special).
- Pod teaches his daughter all the tricks of the trade: to wear "light shoes for borrowing" (7.21), to always have extra borrowing bags, to never shut the gate on your way out, to not let your mind wander, to keep your eyes on him, and to wait for the all clear signal.
- Arrietty can't believe how amazing the world upstairs is. Sunlight, grass, doormats. What more could a girl want?
- For the first time she sees the clock that she lives in—and notices that her father is small.
- Okay, so to be fair, pulling bristles out of a doormat isn't very fun, but you know what it is?
- Arrietty's pop lets her explore a little bit while he picks out the best bits for Homily's brush.