by Mary Norton
The Boy Timeline and Summary
- The boy is staying with Great-Aunt Sophy while he recovers from the rheumatic fever he contracted in India.
- Our nameless protagonist meets Arrietty and they become friends. She promises to read to him and he promises to deliver a letter to her family because that's what friends are for.
- Rain or shine, the mail will get delivered on time. The boy risks punishment by Mrs. Driver when he delivers a letter to Arrietty's family in the badger sets in the fields.
- Busted! Pod catches Arrietty and the boy hanging out.
- Using a screwdriver, the boy lifts the roof of the borrower family's house to bring them presents from the dollhouse, and so begins a beautiful friendship of borrowing.
- Unfortunately, Mrs. Driver catches the boy helping the borrowers and locks him in his room. No good.
- The boy escapes from Mrs. Driver's clutches, grabs a pickax, and knocks a hole in the grate so the borrower family can breathe fresh air and not the toxic fumes of the rat-catcher.
- Beep-Beep! Just after the boy's act of heroism, a taxi arrives to take him back to India and his family.